Monday, July 5, 2010

New Madrid

We did not get a text from Aaron or Jake last night. Most likely they are not getting cell service as predicted because they are on a more remote section of the river.  My guess is they probably traveled at least 50 miles because of no locks and an increase in the current. Of course it all depends on how strong the headwinds were and how hot it got.  The forecast for Monday is mid 90 degree temperatures and south winds.

If Aaron and Jake did make 50 miles, that would put them roughly at the junction of Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri near New Madrid Missouri.  New Madrid is infamous for the New Madrid Seismic zone.  Over the years many well documented earthquakes have originated from this area; in fact Reverie, Tennessee was cut off from its Tennessee homeland when an earthquake changed the course of the river.  This earthquake created a new channel and left Reverie, Tennessee on the Arkansas side of the river.

I will not update the map or mileage until I know the exact distance they traveled.

Posted by Aaron's dad

2 comments:

  1. I just found this while doing some breast cancer research online. I am currently going through treatment for this disease...and what you are doing brought tears to my eyes...will share this on fb and and anywhere else I can find!!! You guys ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found us - there is a facebook group set up called Canoe for the cure.

    Aaron's dad

    ReplyDelete